Tension and fears are mounting
And here are some other pieces that break down what is happening:
EU heads of state are in a closed door session aimed at forging a diplomatic response to the crisis in Crimea, European Commsion President Jose Manuel Barroso said in a Twitter message.
Crimean parliament passes resolution to hold a referendum -- and much more
From the the website of the Supreme Council of the
Autonomous Republic of Crimea:
The resolution contains nine points of which:
1. To join the Russian Federation as a subject of the Russian Federation
2. To call an all Crimea referendum (including Sevastopol) which will bear the
following two alternate questions:
1. Are you for the unification of Crimea with Russia as a
subject of the Russian Federation?
2. Are you for the implementation of the 1992 Constitution of the Republic of Crimea and the status of Crimea as a part of Ukraine?
3. The question receiving the majority of votes will be considered the expression of the direct will of the people of Crimea.
>>> Points 4-8 involved logistics, technicalities <<<
9. The Supreme Soviet of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea has approached the
President of the Russian Federation and the Federal Council and the State Duma
with a proposal to begin procedures for entering the Russian Federation as a
subject of the Russian Federation.
Russian markets continue their decline today. RTS Index down 3%, MICEX down 2.3% so far. (The section after the dotted line is today.)